Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dominic

It is without fail that this (the picture to the left) is how Dominic greets his sister.  He walks right up to her particular site and stands directly on top of her marker.  Big deal, right? Well interestingly enough, he only does this to her marker.  Another interesting point is he seems to know exactly which one is her's.  Without fail every time, this is his way of saying 'hello'.

Dominic is such a lively child.  He is quite a character too.  His nature is sweet and kind.  He is determined and stubborn. He is smart and thoughtful.  One of the things I love best about him, is that he is a happy child.  He his never one to sit in a corner upset, or hide behind my leg in a sheepish manner.  He loves to play with other children regardless of size and age.  I often call him a Chihuahua among Pitbulls, as his tends to be the smallest one of the bunch in most cases.  He is the little dog that has no idea he is a little dog.  He just knows he wants to be in the mix.  He is a social child, and will befriend another child or adult in minutes if a good time is to be the result.  He is the child you usually don't mind having around.

Now, with all that said, there is a bossy and obnoxious side to this half pint as well.  I mentioned determination... well that is most definitely true and at time overwhelming.  I have said he has hit his 'terrible two's' early.  He knows what he wants and when he wants it.  Don't try to give him milk if he want water, and don't try to trick him that the cookies aren't in the cabinet.  He will call your bluff every time.  'Fits' have become a common scene in our house these days.  A battle of wills, his verse mine.  There are time when I wonder who will win.  Of course it is my goal to win and not be pushed around by this 27lb, 33 inch toddler.  He however is so determined and sure of himself and his wants that there are days I wonder how I will make it through one more melt down. 

Dominic love to be outside.  I often call him 'Grizzley Adam's'.  He couldn't care if it was cold or raining.  He wants out.  Fun enough, he doesn't like the grass to touch his skin.  Heaven forbid, he falls on the lawn, how will he ever get up if I am not there.  He does not want to touch the grass with his bare hands to lift himself up.  Once he fell, with no shoes on either.  He laid there crying on his belly with is hands and feet lifted from the ground, it reminded me of a seal and some type of yoga move.  It was hilarious.  I often say if I want to punish him I should take his shoes off and put him in the middle of the lawn... he'd be miserable and lost.

He is a helper.  Whether it be, cooking, cleaning, gardening or laundry, he wants to do whatever it is you are doing.  He is a quick study.  It is not uncommon for him to take over the swiffer and 'clean' for you.  Or for him to want to pick him up so he can stir the sauce.  What a sweetheart.  But most of all, he like to help you eat! He will share his snacks with you, most of the time feeding them to you.  And don't think your deserve to eat it or not is a consideration to him.  If he gets it in his head that he is sharing his snack, he is putting in your mouth and making sure you eat it.  I've eaten far more goldfish in the past 6 months than I have in my life, and most without a choice.  But, he loves food in general, mostly fruits and vegetables.  He loves fish and pork too; chicken and beef not so much.  But, pasta, that is a food he loves, very often saying and making yum and yummy sounds while he eats it.  Strawberries are another superstar in our house.  Oh boy can he throw down those strawberries. 

Dominic is starting to talk.  And his favorite word bubbles! He loves bubbles, balls too.  He often gets a ball and then running around the house with it proclaiming "ball!".  He is usually quite proud of himself when he does.  He can recognize and say the letter 'D'.  Amazing! One day while watching Sesame Street, the letter of the day was D.  I'm in the other room and hear the TV ask what is the letter of the day.  After putting the letter on the screen, I hear him say 'D', and a split second after the voice on TV says 'D'.  I couldn't believe it.  Later that day I tested it out myself.  I made a 'D' on a piece of paper and held it up.  I asked 'what letter is this"... "D" comes out of his mouth.  I was amazed.

There is so much more, that I could write for days.  But, overall, this little guys is a true blessing to me and our family.  He brings us so much love and pure joy.  Life without his could never be the same.  I love him so much I can't stand it.  If I hugged him as much and as hard as I wanted to I would hurt him.  Even when he is driving me crazy, I try to stop and appreciate the moments, because I know they will go by too fast and one day I will long for them back.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing that little man is!! As someone with more experiences with little boys, I can honestly say that he IS the boys that you like to have around!!

    ReplyDelete